Cigarette caused fire which led to woman’s death

A MUM perished in a house blaze after dropping a cigarette in bed while toasting her son’s birthday, an inquest heard.

Hours before the fatal fire which claimed the life of Wendy Brown her carer had warned her to be careful after she witnessed her dropping a cigarette, the court was told.

Mrs Brown’s husband Raymon, who was seriously injured in the fire, told Doncaster Coroner’s Court that the couple had been watching a film and drinking whisky to mark their youngest son’s birthday.

He said: “I went out to get us some refills. When I came into the room, it was like an explosion.

“I think it was the air bed that had blown up. The next thing I knew I was in hospital.”

The inquest on Tuesday heard how 61-year-old Mrs Brown, who had a 40-a-day smoking habit and limited mobility in her hands, died from smoke inhalation.

Her home carer Carolyn Foster visited the couple at the home in York Street, Rossington, about four hours before the fire started on October 7, 2009, and warned Mrs Brown to be careful after she saw her drop a cigarette.

She told the inquest that Mrs Brown had mentioned that her hands were not “working properly that evening” before she left at about 7.20pm.

A neighbour called 999 after hearing shouts of “Ray” then the fire alarm at about 11.30pm.

Outside the house, the neighbour told firefighters that he could see an “orange glow” coming from the house.

Coroner Nicola Mundy recorded a verdict of accidental death.