Bath tragedy girl, aged 15, dies

Amy Kirkby
Amy Kirkby

Tributes have been paid to a schoolgirl who died despite a high-speed mission across the town centre by ambulance after she apparently collapsed in the bath.

Roads between Amy Kirkby’s home in Sprotbrough and Doncaster Royal Infirmary were blocked off by police as a convoy raced her to accident and emergency.

A police officer drove the ambulance from Brompton Road, Sprotbrough, as paramedics fought in the back of the vehicle to revive 15-year-old Amy.

At the hospital doctors took over but the battle to save her was declared over at 5.30pm on Friday, 75 minutes after the incident in the bathroom.

It is understood Amy collapsed or fell while taking a shower in the bath, but the cause of her death has not been established until the results of a post-mortem examination - probably later today - are known.

Fellow pupils and staff at Amy’s school, Ridgewood, in Scawsby, were in a state of shock on the first day of the new term yesterday.

Amy, a former pupil of Copley Junior School, Sprotbrough, would have been starting Year 11 yesterday in readiness for taking GCSEs next summer.

The incident began at 4.15pm when emergency services were made aware of the incident in the bathroom of Amy’s home.

Ambulances and police cars raced to the address and the Yorkshire Air Ambulance was also scrambled.

As paramedics gave Amy CPR it was decided the quickest way to get her to the DRI would be to clear other traffic from the roads rather than use the helicopter, which would have to land in a field off Melton Road and cannot land at the hospital.

Despite it being rush hour police prevented other vehicles using the Town End roundabout, the old North Bridge, Church Way, East Laith Gate and Thorne Road so the emergency convoy could get to hospital as quickly as possible.

The ambulance was driven by a police officer and two police cars led the way in front of the ambulance. Several police cars behind it set off from Amy’s home about 4.55pm.

A South Yorkshire Police spokesman confirmed: “Police are investigating the sudden death of a 15-year-old girl in the Doncaster area. Officers were called to an address in Sprotbrough around 4.15pm and the girl was pronounced dead at 5.30pm.

“The police investigation is in its early stages but officers do not believe there are any suspicious circumstances surrounding the girl’s death.”

Yesterday the head of Ridgewood School, Chris Hoyle, spoke about the loss of Amy to all pupils in assemblies on the first day of the academic year.

Mr Hoyle said: “We have expressed our condolences and best wishes in a brief format so as not to intrude on the family at this time.

“We will be formulating an appropriate response, within and from school, in line with their wishes when they can be established in due course.

“This must, and will, remain the guiding principle in such circumstances.

“School re-opened as planned with the changed structures and operations of the first day being used to allow arrangements to be put in place to support pupils, particularly those with the closest ties of friendship and working relationships with her.

“Our deepest sympathies and best wishes are with the family at this time of profound shock and grief.”

Social networking site Facebook featured scores of tributes to Amy, some from school friends and others who knew her personally.

Heather Turgoose wrote: “School isn’t going to be the same. You were such a lovely, smiling, happy girl and I know you’re going to be looking down on us all on our first day back.”

Doncaster Coroner Nicola Mundy has been informed of Amy’s death and is awaiting the post-mortem examination report.