ANTIQUES COLUMN: Chief designer William Henry Goss branches out on his own
William Henry Goss was chief designer at the Spode works in Stoke-on-Trent by the time he was twenty-five, but he was not happy and decided to branch out on his own.
In the 1880’s, Williams son, Adolphus, joined the company. He was no potter, but he was an ideas man with a flare for marketing. His father had been producing specially commissioned commemorative pieces bearing heraldic emblems and he saw an opportunity to expand.
Adolphus realised that such wares would make great souvenirs for the mass market who, taking advantage of increased wages, were taking more holidays and day tripping on the growing railway network.
He worked his way round the country over the next 20 years making contacts until he had a network of more than 1000 local agents.
Each agent was responsible for promoting their local coats of arms which could be put on up to 600 small, mass produced named models.
The local agents could ask for their symbols to be placed on just about anything.
Goss also produced a popular series of hand painted buildings, known as the Goss Cottages; examples included Shakespeare’s House and Robert Burns’ birthplace.
However the heraldic crested wares still made up the bulk of the company’s sales.
These wares became less popular after the First World War and in 1929 the Goss family sold out to a competitor Arcadian China.
Standards slowly fell and eventually the factory closed in 1944.