Nostalgia
Band performance, Hexthorpe Flatts

Why thousands visited Doncaster’s Hexthorpe Flatts….

The Manor of Balby-cum-Hexthorpe, consisting of 625 acres located around a mile to the west of Doncaster, had been acquired by Doncaster Corporation in the 1500s, partly from Alderman Thomas Elys, with the remainder of the estate coming from the will of Thomas Ellis in 1588.   
Nostalgia
Fomer drug users joined forces with a group of fundraisers at the Doncaster Royal Infirmary  (picture: MARIE CALEY A1044MC)

These photos show the great spirit of Doncaster

When it comes to fundraising for deserving causes, people in Doncaster give their all, and come up with all kinds of ideas to build up money and make a difference. Here are some of our fundraiser photographs from around 12 years ago, that you might remember….
Nostalgia
White Row, Levitt Hagg

Doncaster’s lost hamlet of Levitt Hagg

This week we take a look at the one-time hamlet of Levitt Hagg that lay between Sprotbrough and Warmsworth.   Levitt Hagg was located on the south bank of the River Don, three miles west of Doncaster and just upstream from Sprotbrough Weir, at a place known as Warmsworth Cliff, writes Dave Fordham.   The term Levitt Hagg was first recorded in 1629 and described an area within Warmsworth Parish, Levitt possibly derived from the name of a local land owner, and Hagg denoting a clearing beneath cliffs.   In 1750, John Battie of Warmsworth Hall built a house called Levitt Hagg at this location for use by the manager of his new limestone quarrying operations, with three workers’ cottages.   John Battie’s son, William Wrightson of Cusworth Hall, subsequently leased the quarries to various parties, ending with the firm of Lockwood Blagden & Crawshaw Ltd. who introduced boat building and built more cottages as the quarries expanded.   Stone was loaded on to barges and later exported by train, following the opening of the South Yorkshire Railway in 1849.   Coal was imported to the site by barge and rail to fire the lime kilns. In 1878, William Battie-Wrightson donated land for the construction of a Mission Hall for use as a reading room and place of worship. By this time the population of Levitt Hagg was around 100 people who lived in 21 cottages. Water was obtained from wells and the River Don.   In 1925, a report by the County Medical Officer criticised the sanitary conditions in the cottages, frequently flooded by the river which also contaminated the water supply. Increasing mechanisation at the quarries caused a decline in the workforce and Doncaster Rural District Council obtained orders to clear the settlement.   The first houses were demolished in 1940 and the rest after the Second World War.
Nostalgia
Load more
Get daily updates Sign Up X