Blow to plans for Doncaster version of Monopoly
Plans to create a Doncaster version of the board game Monopoly have been put on hold by the manufacturers.
Work to develop a version of the classic game featuring locations and organisations from the borough were under development by the firm Custom Games.
Residents have already been asked about the areas that they would like to see included in the game, which was due to hit the market later this year in time for Christmas.
But now the firm has revealed it will be putting the project back because of the current coronovirus crisis.
Nicky Fenn, Sales Support Manager for Custom Games said: “Due to the current global situation we are having to postpone the Doncaster Monopoly project.”
No further details of the delays have been given.
The makers announced on March 5 that a Doncaster version of the game would be manufactured, and invited the public to vote for general landmarks to feature in the game. Local charities were also due to be featured.
More than 2,000 nominations within the first week had been sent to the game’s makers. It was understood the Mansion House had polled very well, as had The Dome, the Keepmoat Stadium and Doncaster Racecourse.
The firm behind the game had also said they believed the cheapest space on the board, the equivalent of Old Kent Road, may be allocated to St Peters Church in Conisbrough, as it was an old building and would not be highly valued by property developers.
Suggestions had also been made for various well known local pubs and sites such as Doncaster Market and the Deaf Trust.
Residents had even made suggestions for the pieces that could be moved around the Doncaster edition, with suggestions having been made that The Mallard and Flying Scotsman steam locomotives and a Vulcan Bomber could be used.