Sheffield RUFC march on but defeat for Sheffield Tigers

editorial image

Sheffield Tigers, after knocking leaders Sale off the top, were left to salvage two bonus points when they were edged out 31-26 in National Three North at Rossendale.

The Dore Moor side went down despite scoring four tries to their rivals’ three, and they grabbed a second bonus by losing by less than eight points. But the result saw Rossendale creep ahead of Tigers, who are now fifth.

Left winger Henry Packard and full-back Pete Swatkins touched down in the first half, and centre Liam Wallace kicked a penalty, but Rossendale led 28-13 at half time.

The Lancashire side had the slope in their favour for the second half but Tigers dug in well and out-scored their hosts, although it wasn’t enough for the win.

Flanker Stefan Destounis and Swatkins scored tries and Wallace added a second penalty to close to 28-26 down, but Rossendale held out and added a late penalty.

Sheffield maintained their lead in North One East when they secured a four-try bonus 27-22 home win over Old Crossleyans. Trailing 14-16 at half time, Sheffield’s early tries came from No 8 Jonny France and a penalty try. Ben Parker converted both.

After the break, Crossleyans extended their lead to 14-19, but Sheffield levelled through centre Gareth Morley’s try and they took the win after flanker David Bradford had scored and Parker added a late penalty.

Early league leaders Dinnington slipped further when they crashed 27-5 at Rochdale. Dinnington went 13-0 down in the first 20 minutes, but there was no further score until Will Marshall, the visitors’ No 8 forward, crashed over for a try five minutes before half time. Jonny West missed the difficult conversion, and in the second half Dinnington had no answer to Rochdale’s bigger pack.

As Doncaster Phoenix maintained their Yorkshire One lead with a 30-10 home win over Yarnbury, Wath on Dearne moved level with Yarnbury on league points when they came from behind for a 25-21 win at Hullensians.

Wath trailed to an early converted try but equalised when centre Martin Bray raced over for a try which Anthony Barratt converted.

Matt Burrows then powered over for Wath’s second, and Bray sprinted over for another before half time to make it 19-7 at the break.

Barratt’s two penalties gave Wath a 25-7 lead, and they held on despite Hull salvaging a losing bonus point with two converted tries.

Former Yorkshire Two leaders Barnsley had every right to feel aggrieved when they were edged out 12-11 at home to current top side West Park Leeds.

Barnsley took an early lead with the only try of the match, winger Ashley Salkeld getting the touchdown. Patrick Jensen kicked two second-half penalty goals, but Leeds clinched the game with four penalties from full-back Simon Towler.

Sheffield Oaks bagged their first win in Yorkshire Four, 18-12 at home against Hornsea. Simon Buckley and Stav Kontou touched down, while Lawrence Canlan kicked two penalties and a conversion.

Mosborough won 24-21 against Skipton. Winger Dave Eaton, second row James Shaw and hooker Dave Pattimore scored their tries, while Dale Adey kicked three penalties.