Rugby Union: Thornensians too strong for Northallerton

editorial image
Have your say

Thornensians took a maximum five-point haul from their home clash with Northallerton in Yorkshire Three.

Flanker Martin Moffatt got Thorne off to a great start with a try after 12 minutes which fly-half Conrad Hanson converted.

Although the visitors pulled level with a try of their own three minutes later, Thorne went back in front with full back Brett Hunt touching down on 25 minutes.

Northallerton closed to 12-10 with a penalty shortly before half time, but Thorne were in no mood to let their lead slip.

The hosts extended their advantage when flanker Aaron Holt raced in and Hanson converted to make it 19-10.

Prop Michael Roodt put his name on the scoresheet on 50 minutes and Ollie Cox converted, and although Northallerton pulled back a try, Thorne had the last word with Hanson kicking a late penalty to complete a 29-17 win.

Wheatley Hills slipped further off the pace when they went down 34-15 in their latest North One East match at West Hartlepool.

Hills started with promise when they were awarded a penalty after seven minutes which full back Johnny Woodcock slotted over.

But Woodcock then missed two further chances at goal and by half time Hartelpool were 17-3 ahead as they responded with tries from props Adam Coates and Ian Pinchen and second row Mike Hogan.

Two of West’s tries were scored while Wheatley were down to 14 men, while Stuart White also converted Pinchen’s 38th minute score.

Hartlepool opened the second half as they ended the first, Hogan’s fellow second row forward Owen Bennett crashing over for a try, and White converted when winger Pete Youll raced over on 54 minutes to leave Wheatley trailing 29-3.

The visitors clawed their way back into the game with tries from second row Dan Undy on 62 minutes and winger James Montgomery five minutes later, the second converted by Woodcock.

But the last word went to Hartlepool whose winger Liam Bailey dived over to put the game out of the reach of the visitors.

In Yorkshire Five Rossington Hornets suffered a 93-0 hammering at Wensleydale.