Rugby Union round-up: Doncaster Phoenix, Wath, Wheatley Hills, Thornensians, Rossington

editorial image
Have your say

Doncaster Phoenix guaranteed a top three finish in Yorkshire One after coming from behind three times to win 23-13 at Heath.

The home side took the lead with an early penalty before Phoenix hit back midway through the first half with a try by captain and full back Andy Ellis, converted by stand-off Ben Miller.

But, after turning round 7-3 ahead, Phoenix again found themselves behind when Heath scored a converted try ten minutes into the second half.

Tom Parker raced over for the Castle Park side’s second try, giving them a 12-10 lead, but the home side snatched the lead again with a penalty.

Ellis then put his side back in front with a try on 75 minutes, and two minutes later Miller slotted over a drop goal. Miller sealed the win with a penalty from the last play.

Wath on Dearne suffered late heartache at Keighley, losing 17-12.

The hosts led 5-0 at the break but a Simon Lines try, converted by Tom Quinn, got them in the game.

Andy Hopkins then touched down for Wath but, with the game finely poised at 12-12, Keighley snatched a late win.

A last minute penalty also did for Wheatley Hills, who lost 20-17 to Northern in North One East.

Rob Worrincy touched down after 25 minutes and Mark Sanderson converted to give Hills a 7-0 lead, and the pair repeated the trick in the second half to put their side 17-10 ahead.

The hosts pulled level again with hooker John Coffey touching down with ten minutes to go and Collins adding the extras, and a draw looked on the cards.

But Collins kicked a last minute penalty from half way towards the touchline, which proved decisive.

Thornensians also let victory slip in the final minute of their Yorkshire Three match at Castleford, going down 20-18.

Tries from Alan Holt and the impressive Ryan Pilley, as well as two penalties from Conrad Hanson, helped Thornensians assume control.

But Castleford muscled their way back in contention and claimed victory with a last minute penalty.

Rossington Hornets ran in two tries in their Yorkshire Five clash with Knaresborough but still ended up losing out 12-31.