DONS GET THEIR MAN: COOKE SIGNS

The Dons new signing and former Super League player Paul Cooke.  Picture: Liz Mockler D1567LM
The Dons new signing and former Super League player Paul Cooke. Picture: Liz Mockler D1567LM

AMBITIOUS Doncaster RLFC today clinched the signing of former Super League star Paul Cooke.

The 30-year-old ex-Hull FC, Hull Kingston Rovers and Wakefield Trinity Wildcats star was unveiled to the media at a Keepmoat Stadium press conference this afternoon.

He has been out of the sport for the last year but revealed how he jumped at the chance to join Doncaster.

Cooke said: “I wasn’t thinking about playing again but when Carl [Hall] rang me everything fell into place.

“If anybody else would have rang me I wouldn’t have listened.

“Doncaster is a club with a tremendous history and I’m delighted to be here.”

Co-owner Hall added: “Paul is one of the biggest and best signings this club has ever made.

“We’re very honoured to welcome Paul to the Dons.”

Cooke’s arrival is a major coup for the Dons, who are intent on winning promotion from Co-operative Championship One this season.

Head coach Tony Miller said: “We set our stall out to sign Paul over a month ago and we’ve finally achieved our objective.

“Paul is a top class player and his record speaks for itself - you don’t win the Challenge Cup and play 300 Super League games by accident.

“I’m absolutely delighted to have him at the club and I’m looking forward to working with him.

“I’m sure he’s going to be a revelation for us and his experience and presence will prove to be beneficial to the young players we have at the club.

“I’d like to take this opportunity to say a massive thank you to the fans and supporters who have paid in to our ‘Squadbuilder’ fund - we couldn’t have done it without you.”

Dons start their pre-season schedule at home to Hunslet Hawks on Sunday.

See next week’s Free Press for more.