Maximum entry for Askern 10k

editorial image

Despite its uncertain future the Askern 10k road race has attracted a maximum entry.

The 600 places up for grabs in Wednesday’s event were snapped up within ten days of going online.

Club officials decided to scrap the long-running system whereby athletes could enter on the night.

“It was too much and we were run off our feet on the night,” recalled Dave Collingwood.

“We decided to limit the entry to 600 and we also decided to take entries online only after it proved successful in this year’s Norton 9.

“We feel 600 is a more manageable number considering the course and the safety aspects. The safety of the runners is of paramount importance.”

Dave admits that this could be the last year that the popular race is run.

“Askern Miners’ Welfare, where the race finishes, are applying for permission to build houses on what is currently the bowling green and part of those plans sees the bowling green being moved to an area where several hundred cars are parked on the night and there is nowhere else those cars could go,” he said.

Dave, who has worked alongside Mick in organising the club’s three major races for over 20 years, says the Askern 10 mile race run every August is also under threat.

“It all depends on whether the Welfare get planning permission and if they do when work starts on the site.”