Jamie shrugs off venue change

editorial image

JAMIE McDonnell has vowed to get over the disappointment of a venue change and to put on a superb performance in his next fight.

The Doncaster treble bantamweight title holder will now defend his European belt against French-Algerian Malik Bouziane at Hillsborough Leisure Centre on March 3.

It’s been a confusing time for the 25-year-old. Different venues and dates have been discussed for weeks after it became apparent that the Doncaster Dome was unavailable.

Barnsley Metrodome, Doncaster racecourse and Adwick Leisure Centre were all mooted as potential hosts but it’s now been decided to be at the same venue where Jamie beat Kenyan Nick Otieno in a Commonwealth defence last May.

McDonnell knew that the issue was out of his hands and is determined to be professional about it.

He told The Star: “It is a bit disappointing because I won’t be able to get as many people in there as I can at the Dome. This is the fifth different date I’ve had so far!

“The fight’s four weeks away and I haven’t got my tickets yet so it may be a struggle but I’ve just got to get on with it and concentrate on the fight. I’m feeling great and ready to put on a great show.”

McDonnell’s performance against Otieno was flat. He won comfortably but has performed better at the Dome generally speaking.

“I couldn’t get as motivated for that fight because it was just for the Commonwealth,” he admitted.

“There’s a hometown buzz that raises your game but at least I’m not boxing away from home.”

Twin brother Gavin will however be fighting at the Dome the night before and Jamie may not be able to watch him on the Friday night: “Unless they get Gav on first then I’m not going to be able to watch him because I’ve got to rest and look after myself,” he said.