Golf: Doncaster duo take step closer to The Open Championship
TWO Doncaster affiliated golfers have reached the final qualifying stage for next month’s Open Championship at Royal Lytham and St Annes.
Wheatley GC’s Daniel Gavins and Michael Hempstock of Bawtry Golf Club will take part in the Local Final Qualifying stage on Tuesday, looking to join the field in the Major.
Gavins shot a round of 72 at the regional qualifying event at Moortown on Monday.
That was enough for a seventh place finish and put him among nine golfers heading to the next stage.
Hempstock’s regional qualifier was held at Lindrick and his round of 70 saw him finish eighth.
He will now head to Hillside Golf Club in Southport on Tuesday for his final chance at making The Open.
Gavins will play his final qualifier at Southport and Ainsdale.
Other Doncaster-based golfers to take part in regional qualifying included Bawtry’s Jonathan Pyle who shot a 78 at Moortown.
- DONCASTER ROVERS: ‘We’re going for big prize and won’t be distracted’
- One Direction’s Louis Tomlinson’s Twitter row with The Wanted
- Up and coming singer Jake Bugg heads out on biggest tour to date
- VOTE: Margaret Thatcher - Hero or Villain?
- Rovers FT: Doncaster Rovers 1 Tranmere 0: Jones edges Donny nearer promotion
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Doncaster
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 30 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 7 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west