Nathan Tyson says it “wasn’t feasible” for him to stay at Doncaster Rovers.
The 34-year-old striker left the club last week after a relegation release clause in his contract was triggered.
It is unclear whether Tyson’s exit was driven by the player himself, club or was a mutual agreement.
But in his first interview since departing Doncaster, speaking to In The Mixer TV, Tyson does not appear to hold any grudges and looks back fondly at his time at the Keepmoat Stadium.
The former Nottingham Forest and Derby County frontman had been close to quitting football before signing for Rovers in 2014.
“I’m just gutted that I left [Doncaster],” said Tyson.
“But I had to leave really. It just wasn’t feasible for me to be there to be honest.
“It’s a good club and I had a great time there. They made me fall in love with football again.
“I’ve got that bit between my teeth now, I’m very ambitious, and my next club that I go to I want them to match my ambitions as a player and further on as well.”
Asked what was next for him, Tyson replied: “I don’t know. I’m officially unemployed!
“I’m getting married [this week] so my wedding is the most important thing at the moment. I don’t want to think too much about football.”
Tyson finished top scorer with 14 goals and won two Player of the Year awards in his first season with the club.
He signed a new one-year contract extension in March but lost his place in the team to Gary McSheffrey - who Rovers signed this week - during the final straight of the season.
Rovers will face Newcastle United in a pre-season friendly at the Keepmoat Stadium on Wednesday, July 20 (7.45pm).