Match report: Doncaster Rovers 2 Bury 1 + SLIDESHOW

CHRIS Brown grabbed his third goal in as many games to help Rovers come from behind to see off ten man Bury and continue their 100 per cent start to the season.

An all action display from Brown was the highlight of another solid performance from Rovers and helped them to only their second win at the Keepmoat in 2012.

Rovers' Chris Brown scores the winner against Bury. Picture: Andrew Roe

Rovers' Chris Brown scores the winner against Bury. Picture: Andrew Roe

A sloppy early strike from Joe Skarz gave the impressive visitors the lead and sparked to life an enthralling contest which Rovers levelled on 36 minutes through a brilliant individual effort from Kyle Bennett.

Steven Schumacher’s second half dismissal changed the pattern of the contest and Rovers took full advantage of the numbers difference to secure their second win in as many games.

It proved to be a breathless first half, characterised by end to end play and the game was just five minutes old when Bury took the lead.

Former Rovers man Adam Lockwood flicked Schumacher’s corner on target, the ball dropped and Skarz stabbed home from close range.

The goal showed the set-piece frailty so prevalent last season for Rovers has yet to be fully rectified, as did another near post header from the unmarked Mark Hughes shortly after.

Rovers fired back with Brown at the centre of most of the chances, appearing in the right place at the right time on several occasions.

But he met a keeper in Trevor Carson who was refusing to budge.

Carson produced a superb reaction stop with his legs to deny Brown from close range.

Brown then headed over from ten yards as he met a well-delivered free kick from David Cotterill before a first time shot was blocked by Andrai Jones.

Rovers really should have drawn level through Bennett after a superb breakaway.

A Bury corner was cleared out to Bennett who charged forward, skipping over a foul from Schumacher that would earn him his first booking.

After exchanging passes with the lively David Syers, Bennett found himself in space ten yards out but could not beat Carson.

Bennett flattered to deceive over the first half hour, producing exciting runs but giving the ball away far too cheaply.

However there could be no doubting the quality of his equalising goal.

After a neat one-two with Brown, Bennett skipped into the area, past several challenges and poked the ball under Carson from six yards in a manner most closely associated with Lionel Messi.

Billy Paynter went close to giving Rovers the lead almost immediately but his long range effort was deflected just wide with Carson stranded.

Paynter’s partnership with Brown continued to flourish – belying their relative inexperience as a duo and the former Leeds man’s lack of full fitness – and suggested they could go on to vie for the status as the top pairing in League One.

Mark Cullen really should have put Bury back in front in the dying stages of the half when he found himself completely unmarked eight yards out but his shot was high and wide.

The pace of the second half could not match the first and Rovers probably edged the early chances.

Brown went close to snatching the lead but got under Tommy Spurr’s knock back and put his header over the bar.

The game’s major turning point came midway through the half with Schumacher’s dismissal.

Schumacher needlessly pulled back Brown as Rovers tried to break and received his marching orders for his second booking.

Bury understandably were more reserved with the disadvantage and this drew out a Rovers side previously happy to play on the break.

Bennett looked to replicate his goal at Walsall from the edge of the area but got little height on his shot and it was a simple stop for Carson.

Just when it seemed that Bury would escape with a point, the pressure told on Peter Shitliff’s side with three minutes to go.

Cotterill’s pass was flicked on by Syers and with the Bury defence appealing for offside, Brown calmly slotted home from ten yards.

It was by no means a dazzling performance from Rovers but their efficiency provided another major boost of confidence.

Rovers: Gary Woods, Paul Quinn, Jamie McCombe, Rob Jones, Tommy Spurr, David Cotterill, David Syers, Martin Woods (James Harper, 78), Kyle Bennett, Chris Brown (James Coppinger, 87), Billy Paynter.

Subs: Neil Sullivan, Robbie Blake, James Husband.

Bury: Trevor Carson, Joe Skarz, Adam Lockwood, Peter Sweeney, David Worrall (Craig Jones, 15), Steven Schumacher, Andy Bishop (Lenell John-Lewis, 65), Mark Carrington, Mark Hughes, Mark Cullen (Marcus Marshall, 69), Adrai Jones.

Subs: Phil Picken, Max Harrop, Christian Dibble.

Referee: Chris Sargison (Staffordshire)