Full time: York City 0 Doncaster Rovers 1

York City v Doncaster Rovers: Marc de Val takes on Anthony Straker
York City v Doncaster Rovers: Marc de Val takes on Anthony Straker
Have your say

Rovers left it late but sneaked into the second round of the Capital One Cup with a win at York.

Harry Forrester grabbed his second goal in as many games, drilling home from just outside the box in the 90th minute.

York City v Doncaster Rovers �' Capital One Cup Round 1 - Curtis Main

York City v Doncaster Rovers �' Capital One Cup Round 1 - Curtis Main

Given Paul Dickov’s wafer thin squad, he will have been delighted to have avoided extra time.

In an early bid to keep his squad fresh, Dickov made five changes from the opening day triumph at Yeovil.

The surprise Rovers’ inclusion was centre half Jamie McCombe who only returned to training last week following a reoccurrence of his long-term back issue.

McCombe was pitted against brother John who started in the York defence and took the place of skipper Rob Jones while Reece Wabara dropped out at right back for Liam Wakefield.

Kyle Bennett started on the left in place of Forrester while Theo Robinson – who netted in injury time in the 3-0 win at Yeovil – was handed a starting berth in place of Nathan Tyson.

The final change saw Paul Keegan replaced in the heart of midfield by Marc De Val.

The League Two team were certainly having more than their share of the ball.

Anthony Straker, Lindon Meikle and Ryan Jarvis engineered some early half-chances for City, but it was an inauspicious opening 15 minutes.

Twenty two minutes had gone before young striker Curtis Main had Doncaster’s first shot, the ball sailing over the bar.

Five minutes later Kyle Bennett gave Jason Mooney an easy save to make.

Rovers’ McCombe picked up a booking on 35 minutes.

Three minutes in to the second half, Michael Coulson put the wind up Rovers with a right footer from outside the box, whistling just wide.

Bennett hit back with an effort at the other end.

And Robinson had an effort saved by Mooney too.

Spanish midfielder De Val picked up a booking near the hour mark, for the visitors.

Then Rovers keeper Steer saved the League One team with a point blank from York defender Straker.

With six minutes to go James Coppinger found Robinson who shot straight at Mooney.

But Forrester’s second goal in two games put Rovers in the driving seat.

The 23-year-old fired in a right footer from outside the box to the bottom right corner after good approach work from Main.

It was enough to send Rovers into the next round of the Capital One Cup

York: Mooney, McCoy, McCombe, Winfield, Ilesanmi, Meikle, Penn, Platt, Straker, Coulson, Jarvis.

Subs: Parslow, Summerfield, Montrose, Lowe, Hirst, Murray, Ingham.

Rovers: Steer, Wakefield, McCullough, McCombe, Evina, Coppinger, De Val, Furman, Bennett, Robinson, Main.

Subs: Marosi, Jones, Askins, Keegan, Forrester Tyson, Peterson.

Ref: Mark Haywood.

Attendance: 3,357 (1,073)