Full time: Doncaster Rovers 1 Rotherham United 2

editorial image

Rob Jones made his long awaited return from injury but Doncaster went down to Rotherham in their final pre-season run-out.

Jones successfully negotiated the first 45 minutes following a nine-month lay-off before his withdrawal was the cue for the Millers to take command.

With Jones in the side, Rovers looked far more composed at the back and their first half performance showed some promising signs.

After the break, however, the hosts lost an element of control and rythmn as the usual mass subtitutions ensued.

Matt Derbyshire broke the deadlock on 52 minutes, prodding home from close range after Doncaster failed to deal with a ball from the left.

Ryan Hall then quickly doubled Rotherham’s lead with an emphatic finish from distance.

Substitute Curtis Main halved the deficit in the closing stages with an impressive dinked finish after breaking the offside trap.

The headline team news was the return of Jones - back in the starting eleven for the first time since October.

Dickov also paired Theo Robinson and Nathan Tyson in attack, and preferred Kyle Bennett to Harry Forrester as the Scot shaped his team for one final time before next Saturday’s League One opener at Yeovil.

Chances were thin on the ground during the early exchanges, although the lively Tyson just failed to connect with a teasing Bennett cross.

Jones was settling in nicely on his return, heading several balls away and constantly communicating with his young defensive colleagues.

Rovers’ back four was caught flat footed just after the quarter hour mark, however, when a long ball over the top sent Bowery clear but he fired just over.

A neat Millers passing move then saw Frecklington fire over when he had time and space to do better.

Doncaster had faded slightly but Tyson came close to a spectacular opener, firing just wide from 30 yards.

The free transfer arrival was causing Rotherham’s back four one or two problems with his pace.

And he appeared to have a good case for a penalty when he crept up on Morgan and the defender responded by checking the striker’s progress with an outstretched arm.

At the other end Derbyshire had an effort ruled out for offside, before Green latched onto a loose ball and fired just wide of the far post.

Jones, Robinson and Bennett were replaced by Wakefield, Main and Forrester at half time.

United had the ball in the net again at the start of the second half. Bowery’s dink over Steer would have stood but Derbyshire, who nodded in from a yard out, was flagged offside.

Bowery then burst clear again only to see his low shot blocked by Steer.

But it wasn’t long before the visitors broke the deadlock as Derbyshire prodded home before Hall met Frecklington’s cross field pass with an exquisite left foot finish.

Rovers had to be grateful to new loan keeper Steer who kept out Broadfoot’s close range header with an impressive stop, before Bowery wasted a gilt-edged chance from close range.

With the game meandering to its conclusion, Main then set up an interesting finish by breaking the offside trap and coolly dinking the ball over the oncoming Scott Loach.

Rovers rallied for a late leveller but Rotherham held out for the win.

Team news:

Rob Jones was back in the starting line-up today following nine months out.

Jones lined up alongside Luke McCullough at centre half as Paul Dickov sent his side out for their final pre-season friendly.

New signings Jed Steer, Reece Wabara, Cedric Evina and Nathan Tyson all started against the Millers, while Curtis Main was included on the bench.

Rovers: Steer, Wabara, Evina, Jones, McCullough, Coppinger, Keegan, Furman, Bennett, Tyson, Robinson.

Subs: Wakefield, Lund, Whitehouse, Peterson, Middleton, De Val, Forrester, Main, Trialist.

Follow Paul Goodwin (@paulgoodwinDFP) on twitter for regular updates.