With each passing day concern grew that John Marquis’ long term future would not be with Doncaster Rovers.
A rejected contract offer and rumoured interest from clubs higher up the football pyramid meant some supporters were worried the 26-goal striker could have been on his way out of the Keepmoat.
But the concerns were washed away on Tuesday when, with a brilliantly dramatic announcement, it was confirmed Marquis had signed a new three year deal.
And later in the night, the 25-year-old confessed he was somewhat baffled by the panic which surrounded his new contract.
“I don’t know why everyone is saying ‘finally’ I’ve signed,” Marquis told the Free Press.
“It’s been a long summer.
“The manager was away, I was away and my agent was also away. The negotiations over the summer were pretty slow and there wasn’t that much conversation.
“It’s done now, which is the most important thing for me.
“I want to thank the manager and the board for the backing of myself, offering me the contract.
“I’m glad it’s done now and I’m looking forward to the coming year ahead at Doncaster.”
Throughout the closed season and pre-season training, boss Darren Ferguson insisted he was fully confident Marquis would indeed agree a new contract.
And the striker himself says he never had any doubt in his mind over whether he would commit his future to the club.
He said: “There was no doubt for me or the manager that it would get done.
“I think the way it is nowadays with any job, there’s some form of negotiation over a new contract.
“When it came out it was rejected, it was never rejected in a way that it wasn’t going to happen.
“Me and the manager firmly believed it was going to happen.
“As he said, there was a squad of players he needed to get to challenge in League One and I fully understood that.
“So in the terms of the time that it’s taken, it’s really the negotiations have been pretty quick since we came back for pre-season.”
In committing his future until the summer of 2020, Marquis feels he has been handed a fair deal based on his contribution to the side last season.
He netted a league best 26 goals in a truly breakout campaign where he helped Rovers secure promotion back to League One.
And he said the final deal agreed reflects such an important contribution.
He said: “They put something to me, I went back with something I felt was fair and we’ve met somewhere in the middle which is how I think negotiations go.
“I feel like it’s a very good and fair contract that I’ve been given.
“I feel like it’s a deserved contract as well off the back of last year.
“It’s given me good security for myself and my family.
“As I say, I think it’s a great move for everyone – myself, for the club moving forward and the club as a whole to keep me.”