ROVERS have completed the loan signing of Preston North End striker Iain Hume.
The 28-year-old forward has penned a deal until January 1 and will go straight into the squad to face Yeovil Town on Saturday.
Hume’s arrival adds some much-needed firepower to Dean Saunders’ striking ranks with Chris Brown and Billy Paynter the only recognised out-and-out senior strikers and both struggling with injury over the last week.
The Canada international started his career with Tranmere Rovers, netting 32 goals in 149 appearances before switching to Leicester City in 2005 for an initial £500,000.
After 33 goals in 132 appearances, Hume was snapped up by Barnsley for £1.2m.
His spell at Oakwell was blighted by a life-threatening head injury suffered in a clash with Sheffield United’s Chris Morgan.
Somewhat miraculously, Hume made his return to fitness nine months later.
He joined Preston in September 2010 and went on to score 22 goals in 60 appearances for North End.
Hume was told by North End boss Graham Westley to find a new club earlier this summer and was not given a squad number for this season.
Throughout deadline day, we will bring you updates on potential incomings and outgoings from the Keepmoat, right up until the deadline at 11pm tonight.
We want you to contribute too – let us know any rumours you have heard and we will publish the sensible ones on this page.
We would also like to hear what you think about the business that Rovers have done today.
Tweet any rumours to @liamhodenDFP or email email@example.com.
WILL ROVERS COMPLETE ANY FURTHER BUSINESS TODAY?
DEAN Saunders has been given the green light by the Rovers board to make signings before tonight’s 11pm deadline.
Extra funds have been made available to the Rovers boss following the strong start to the campaign and he has been told he can spend the money as he wishes.
After bringing in Iain Hume, Saunders may also reignite his pursuit of Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Nicky Weaver.
A deal for the veteran stopper was put on hold as Saunders filled gaps elsewhere in his squad.
But with funds freed, Saunders has room to manoeuvre once more.
The only other potential transfer saga it seems likely will feature on deadline day for Rovers is the future of James Coppinger.
However, two of the clubs most strongly linked with a move for the midfielder look unlikely to cement their interest today.
Hull City yesterday signed wide man Ahmed Elmohamady from Sunderland while Leeds United have reportedly cooled their interest in Coppinger.
One thing Rovers will be looking to avoid is any late swoop for Kyle Bennett.
Rumours of interest in the pacy winger have died down as the transfer window has worn on.
However, dealings elsewhere could reignite interest in Bennett.
@liamhodenDFP Rovers fans, thoughts on the signing of Iain Hume?
Steve Kendrick @berksrover good signing imo, interested to see whether he’s a first choice pick, if so, whose place will he take and where will he play
Kieran O’Malley @KieranOMalley A good signing with Championship experience! Hopefully can score us some goals. Also like to see Tom Kennedy join us
Chirs Twell @ChrisNTwell saw him a few times in the championship against us, looked quality going forward, Saunders has done well
@liamhodenDFP What other business would you like to see Rovers do by 11pm tonight?
Joe Beresford @BezzelBear Weaver, a defender who doesn’t have a history of injuries and Copps to stay #RTID #ItCouldHappen
Liam-el Messi @drfcliam24 I’d like us to bring in a defender today, some much-needed back up
Gavin Grayson @GavDRFC Mr Nicky Weaver
Adam Cox @AdamdrfcCox a defender to add strength in depth and a centre midfielder will be amazing. Loan or permanent doesn’t really matter
Joe Cheetham @JoeCheetham93 a keeper and maybe defensive cover #priorities
Scott Robertson @scottderob I’d have to say cover in defence and midfield another @jimmyoc2 (James O’Connor) type player
Keep your thoughts coming on Twitter using @liamhodenDFP or email firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT HAS BEEN DONE ELSEWHERE?
- Scott Sinclair has moved to Manchester City from Swansea for a fee believed to be in the region of £6.2m.
- Nigel De Jong has completed a move from Manchester City to AC Milan.
- Rafael van der Vaart has left Tottenham Hotspur to join Hamburg.
- Kieran Richardson has left Sunderland for Fulham for an undisclosed fee.
- Aston Villa have completed the signing of Chesterfield striker Jordan Bowery for a fee around £500,000.
- Brighton and Hove Albion have signed midfielder Andrea Orlandi from Swansea for an undisclosed fee.
- Jay Spearing has joined Bolton Wanderers on a season-long loan from Liverpool.
- Stevenage have snapped up strikers Dani Lopez and Patrick Agyemang on one year deals.
- Scunthorpe United striker Bobby Grant has joined Rochdale on a two year deal.
- Michael O’Halloran has joined Carlisle United on a one month loan from Bolton Wanderers.
- Swindon Town have signed Swansea left back Federico Bessone on a six month loan.
- Tranmere Rovers have brought in Wigan defender Roman Golobart on a one month loan.
- Portsmouth have snapped up free agent Johnny Ertl on a one-month contract.
- Ipswich Town have completed the signing of Peterborough United striker Paul Taylor while Celtic’s Darryl Murphy has agreed a return to Portman Road for a third loan spell.
- Crystal Palace have snapped up defender Damien Delaney on a short term deal after his release by Ipswich.
- Queens Park Rangers have signed defender Sam Magri from Portsmouth on a two-year deal.
- Giovani Dos Santos has ended an unsuccessful spell at Tottenham Hotspur by agreeing a four year deal with Real Mallorca.
- Arsenal striker Park Chu-young has joined Celta Vigo on a season long loan.