Food for thought: Rossington CC hit back at bans

Stewart Groves is one of three Rossington players banned for the start of the new season. Picture: Andrew Roe
Stewart Groves is one of three Rossington players banned for the start of the new season. Picture: Andrew Roe

ROSSINGTON Cricket Club have accused the South Yorkshire League of being “heavy handed” in the punishments they have dished out for bad behaviour at an end-of-season dinner.

The league’s disciplinary committee found Rossington guilty of bringing the game into disrepute following incidents at their annual awards night last November.

Rossington’s first XI have been slapped with a 14-point deduction and their second team will start the season on minus seven points.

Three of their players will also miss at least the first month of the new season after landing lengthy bans.

But the Welfare Ground club have hit back at the penalties imposed - claiming the “boorish and aggressive behaviour” cited by the league amounted to “grape throwing and verbal disagreements”.

A club statement said: “Rossington Cricket Club were very disappointed at the heavy handed nature of the penalties handed out by the South Yorkshire Senior Cricket League following minor incidents at the League Annual Dinner on 12 November last year.

“Those incidents related to grape throwing and verbal disagreements with a very small number of people seated at tables close by to the one occupied by representatives of Rossington Cricket Club.

“Rossington Cricket Club also felt that the disciplinary process followed by the South Yorkshire Senior Cricket League was not in accordance with their own rules, since Rossington Cricket Club officials and the three players involved, were not allowed a hearing prior to penalties being levied by the League Management Committee on 12 December last year.”

Rossington’s Colin Sherrington was handed a ten-week ban, starting on April 21, for his part in what the SYL described as “unruly behaviour”.

Stewart Groves received an eight-week ban from April 14, while Michael Richardson was given a four-week ban commencing on April 21.

Richard Tong, the league’s disciplinary officer, said in a statement: “The SYL will not tolerate boorish and aggressive behaviour on or off the field.

“In recent years we have developed a poor reputation around the Yorkshire area leagues for indiscipline and this has become a concern.

“The league has made great strides in most areas in the recent past and we hope to emulate these successes in the area of discipline.

“Shortly, we expect to announce an amended disciplinary code which will kick in this coming season.”