Woman burned in Doncaster kitchen fire

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue. Picture: Marie Caley D0949MC

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue. Picture: Marie Caley D0949MC

0
Have your say

A woman suffered burns to her left arm and smoke inhalation after trying to tackle a kitchen fire at her Doncaster home.

Fire crews from Doncaster and Edlington were called to the semi-detached house on Lakeen Road, Intake, at 11.30am yesterday.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus put out the fire, which was confined to the kitchen, before ventilating the property.

Watch Manager Andy Eaton said: “We believe this lady had put some oil in a pan on the hob and then left the room. When she returned, the pan was on fire.

“In her attempts to put the fire out, she sustained some serious burns to her arm.”

He added: “We would advise people never to leave cooking unattended and, if encountering a fire of any sort in their home, not to try to deal with it themselves. The best course of action is to dial 999 and ask for the fire service.”

Fire and heat damage was contained to the area around the cooker, although some other downstairs rooms suffered minor smoke damage. A smoke alarm, which had been fitted recently by firefighters, activated successfully.