RESIDENTS are being reminded to keep their windows and doors locked to stop burglaries during the hot weather.
It has been reported that sneak-in burglaries happen more frequently during warmer weather because people spend more time outside of their home and can often leave areas open.
Officers at South Yorkshire Police have listed these tips for Doncaster residents to stop them from being a victim of theft:
• Keep all doors and windows locked at all times even when inside
• Do not leave keys visible for example on a key rack
• Keep valuable property out of sight where possible
• Use lighting and switches when possible to indicate someone is at home
• Take keys, wallets and other valuables upstairs when going to bed
• Have effective house alarms and window locks fitted
• Join a neighbourhood watch scheme if you have one in your area. If not, consider setting one up with local residents.
• Speak to your crime reduction officer or safer neighbourhood officer for advice
For more tips on how to protect your property and valuables visit www.southyorkshire.police.uk/home-safety/burglary