A young couple had to be rescued from a flat fire in the early hours of this morning, following an arson attack at their home.
Fire crews attended the blaze at a premises situated on the corner of Beaconsfield Street and Main Street, Mexborough at around 4am this morning.
Crews rescued a man in his 20’s and his partner from the blaze.
The extent of their injuries is not yet known.
A South Yorkshire fire and rescue spokesman said the fire is believed to have been started deliberately.
A 29-year-old neighbour, who did not want to be named, said a rag is believed to have been set alight and thrown through the window of their top floor flat.
She continued: “I heard all this banging and the fire brigade were knocking down their front door.
“They brought out the lad and he was made to sit on the step. He looked very wobbly and shocked.”
“The rag I think they put through the window is still on the floor outside their flat. It’s shocking that it could happen here.”