DCSIMG

VIDEO: Child dies in Conisbrough house blaze

Waiting for Video...
 

The house where a two-year-old girl died in a horror blaze did not have a smoke alarm fitted, fire chiefs have said.

South Yorkshire Fire Service and South Yorkshire Police launched a joint investigation into the fire which broke out at a house in Don Street, Conisbrough.

A fire service spokesman confirmed that the blaze was confined to the master bedroom of the terrace property.

The girl, named locally as Libby-Jayne, who later died in hospital, and another four children, including a six-year-old were rescued from the house.

Deputy chief fire officer Mark Shaw said it was the second blaze in South Yorkshire this week in which firefighters had to enter blazing homes to help people trapped inside.

“While I am not saying that the smoke alarm necessarily would have made a difference regarding the fire in Doncaster, it could have,” he said.

“Any loss of life in a fire is tragic but when it is a young life it is ever more so.

“Over the last four days we have had two victims who we have had to rescue from properties where there were no smoke alarms fitted - this was the case in Doncaster.”

Zoe Backhouse, of Dearne Street, lives directly behind the house where the fire started.

She said: “It’s so sad. She was such a lovely little girl. She was a little angel. They’re a beautiful family.

“I used to see them walking past every day and they always had a smile on their faces. It’s awful to think something like this could happen.”

Sara Dawson, 31, of Dearne Street, added: “My prayers go out to their family and I’m very sorry for their loss.”

Fire crews were called to the scene at about 7.45pm yesterday after a neighbour raised the alarm.

More details are expected to be released this afternoon.

Related articles: Tragic Conisbrough house fire toddler is named

Conisbrough fire tragedy first picture of girl

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page