Case against driver over horror crash which killed five teenagers is dropped

editorial image
0
Have your say

The case against a driver arrested over a fatal crash which left five Doncaster teenagers dead has been dropped – meaning no one will face charges over the deaths.

The man, who was driving another vehicle close by when the smash happened, was arrested at the scene on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

But the Crown Prosecution Service said they were unable to find evidence to prove ‘to the very high standard required in a criminal case’ that the man contributed to the crash.

The crash happened on Sheffield Road, Conisbrough, on Saturday, November 15, when a blue Toyota Corolla and a grey Seat León collided.

All five people in the Corolla – 18-year-old former Danum Academy pupil Bartosz Bortniczak and current students Arpad Kore, aged 18, and 16-year-olds Blake Cairns, Jordanna Goodwin and Megan Storey – were killed. The 45-year-old León driver suffered a broken leg.

The arrested man was driving a third vehicle, a black Vauxhall Corsa.

Following an extensive investigation into the causes of the crash, the Crown Prosecution Service has said no charges will be brought against the 21-year-old, who is believed to have been travelling in front of the Corolla.

Mark Marriott, senior crown prosecutor for Yorkshire and Humberside, said: “This was a truly tragic event in which five young people – four passengers and their driver – lost their lives.

“The police investigation concluded the collision was caused when the driver of their vehicle lost control on a bend and hit another car travelling in the opposite direction.

“Prior to the collision, the driver had been following another car.

“After an extensive police investigation, we have not been able to identify any evidence that would prove to the very high standard required in a criminal case that the driver of the car being followed contributed to the collision.

“Therefore, we have advised no charges should be brought against the driver of the car being followed.”

A South Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “The investigation is now complete and has been referred to the coroner who will set a date for the inquests.

“The families have been informed and we will continue to assist them and provide support.

“The man arrested has been released from bail and no charges will be brought.”

The inquests have been opened and adjourned until autumn.