RESIDENTS could be in with the chance of winning £200 worth of shopping vouchers if they take part in a fire safety quiz.
South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service is running the Kitchen Nightmares Quiz on its Facebook page as part of a major drive to reduce cooking-related house fires.
Web users who answer five questions about common causes of kitchen fires correctly will be given the chance to win the prize, which is being provided by The Co-operative Group.
Diane Malpass, head of community safety, said: “Cooking is by far and away the biggest cause of fires in the home. So we’re asking Facebook users to take five minutes out of their day to take in some basic advice which could save their home, or even their life.”
Doncaster’s firefighters tackled more than 69 cooking related house fires last year, resulting in 17 injuries.
In a bid to reduce those numbers, the fire service is reminding people to keep electrical leads and fabrics well away from the hob and never use a chip pan, keep an eye on cooking at all times and never, ever leave it unattended and switch off cooking appliances when they have finished cooking and before bed.
To take part in the quiz and to enter in the competition, visit www.facebook.com/southyorkshirefire