Safety plea after inquest hears fatal Doncaster house fire was started by man smoking in bed

Ian Jennings, aged 61, died following a blaze at a house in Pinfold Close, Tickill on October 17 last year.

Ian Jennings, aged 61, died following a blaze at a house in Pinfold Close, Tickill on October 17 last year.

0
Have your say

A fire investigation officer has issued a safety plea, after an inquest heard that a fatal Doncaster house fire was accidentally caused by a man as he smoked in bed.

An inquest took place today (March 14) into the death of a man following a house fire in Doncaster.

Ian Jennings, aged 61, died following the blaze at the house in Pinfold Close, Tickill on 17 October last year.

The fire is thought to have been caused by a naked flame, most likely from a lighter, used by Mr Jennings as he smoked in bed.

Investigators found no evidence of working smoke alarms inside the property.

A verdict of accidental death was recorded.

Speaking after the inquest, fire investigation officer Graham Toms, said:

“This was a severe house fire which tragically resulted in Mr Jennings losing his life and our thoughts are with his family what remains a very sad time. The incident is also another, terrible reminder of the dangers associated with smoking in bed.

“We found no evidence of working smoke alarms in the property. Whilst we will never know whether smoke alarms would have made a difference at this incident, smoke alarms do you vital extra seconds to escape by giving you an early warning of a fire in your home. Please, please make sure you have smoke alarms on every level of your home and to test them regularly.”