residents are being warned of the dangers of using electric blankets and portable heaters as the weather gets colder.
Dave McMurdo, Chief Trading Standards Officer at Doncaster Council, said: “Electric blankets cause around 1,000 fires a year in the UK leading to numerous deaths and injuries, particularly among elderly people. It is essential to check that blankets are in good condition.”
The Trading Standards team are planning a free event where residents can get heaters and blankets tested. Anyone who would like their appliances tested contact 01302 737600.