Residents flee Doncaster flat fire

Fire Engine on call
Fire Engine on call

RESIDENTS had to flee a block of Doncaster flats after a ground floor bedroom was set alight by a dropped cigarette.

Several people inside the four-flat building, in Marshland Road, Moorends, were forced onto the street as firefighters tackled the blaze.

Officers said it started after one of the occupants had been smoking in the bedroom and discarded the cigarette.

Residents were evacuated around 6.45pm on Monday after being alerted by a fire alarm.

They were allowed to return inside before crews from Thorne and Doncaster left the scene two hours later.

Nobody inside the flats was injured or treated for smoke inhalation.