A TEENAGER had to be rushed to hospital after an allergic reaction to a common painkiller, which struck just before she was due to audition for Britain’s Got Talent.
Katie Hunter had taken cocodamol just before she set off with pals from Street Vibes dance school in Conisbrough to perform in front of judges including Simon Cowell and Alesha Dixon.
But, almost as soon as she arrived at the Lowry Theatre in Manchester, she had to be rushed to hospital as she struggled to breathe because of an allergic reaction.
She and the rest of the 20-girl troupe Fusion Fizz had made the last 600 out of 60,000 hopefuls.
Katie, 16, from Sprotbrough, had never taken cocodamol before and had no idea she would react badly to it.
Dance teacher Emma Alderson said: “No-one realised she was allergic to it until the paramedics got there.
“She had a rash, her ribs were hurting and she was struggling to breathe - we were really, really, worried.”
Katie was given tests and scans in hospital, where she was put on a drip and treated with steroids and other medication.
She was released just in time to get back to the theatre and go ahead with her dream of performing in front of the TV judges.
The girls performed the routine - but were knocked out of the competition on a 2-2 split vote.
Simon Cowell said he turned them down because their routine had been set up by their teacher rather than themselves. Alesha Dixon called on him to keep them in.
“Everyone was really worried about Katie,” said Emma, whose school trains at the Ivanhoe Centre. “We couldn’t believe it when we saw she was back and alright in time to perform. The girls where crying their eyes out.
“There was no way Katie was going to miss out on taking part if she could make it - she really did not want to miss out on meeting Ant and Dec. I was so proud of all of them.
“I don’t know if Simon knew what Katie had gone through - he certainly made no mention of it - and we did not want to get through on a sympathy vote. I wasn’t going to give them the sob story. Alesha loved them.”