Mum’s escape as car bursts into flames

Katrina Richardson

Katrina Richardson

0
Have your say

A mother has described the terrifying moment her car burst into flames as she sat in the driver’s seat on the phone to a mechanic.

Katrina Richardson was on her way to pick up her one-year-old daughter, Phoenix, when disaster struck and said it is sheer good fortune that the youngster wasn’t in the car at the time.

The wreck of Katrina Richardson's car after it burst into flames

The wreck of Katrina Richardson's car after it burst into flames

Miss Richardson, who had been experiencing problems with her Volkswagen Polo, called a mechanic after parking outside her fiancée Ross’ parents’ house on Wednesday.

But during the conversation, Miss Richardson was forced to hang up after seeing smoke billowing from the bonnet and flames underneath the car.

She said: “I looked in the windscreen and saw smoke coming from the bonnet. At first I thought it had just overheated but when I got out of the car I could see all the flames underneath.

“I panicked and was worried the car would explode. I was on the phone at the time describing what had been happening with my car as it had been chugging and cutting out on my way to collect Phoenix.

“Then I saw the smoke and flames and just said, ‘Oh my God, my car’s on fire,’ and hung up.

“I ran into the house and screamed get to the back of the house and call 999.

“I think my motherly instincts kicked in so I grabbed Phoenix and just held her in my arms and daredn’t look out of the window.

“We heard three explosions and I was so scared the fire was going to spread to the other car on the drive and to the house.

“The neighbours came out and said afterwards that the flames were really high.

“It was so lucky that Ross’ mum had offered to look after Phoenix for a few hours otherwise she would have been with me.”

The 30-year-old mother-of-one, of Cedar Road, Armthorpe, said it is looking like her car is a write-off but said things could have been a lot worse.

“It was really scary,” she said.

“When I looked at the car afterwards, it was crazy to think I’d been sat in it just a few minutes earlier.

“I didn’t sleep well at all that night. I woke up and was just thinking, ‘Oh my God, what if it had happened a bit later?’ And I would’ve been driving with Phoenix in the car in traffic.

“It’s quite fiddly to get her out of the car seat so I’m sure I would’ve been all fingers and thumbs, panicking trying to get her out.

“I’m just so grateful that things weren’t a lot worse.”

A spokesman from the fire service said two fire engines from Doncaster attended the fire in Holly Dene, Armthorpe at 1.40pm on Wednesday. An electrical fault is believed to be the cause of the blaze.