A YOUNG woman and her baby needed hospital check-ups after escaping a fire at their Doncaster home.
A pan left on the stove filled the kitchen of the property in Norman Crescent, Sunnyfields, with smoke but the woman, in her 20s, smelled it from the upstairs and got her baby out before fire crews arrived.
They were both taken to hospital for precautionary checks after the lunchtime incident.
The kitchen was badly damaged and other parts of the house were also affected by smoke.
A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the house was not fitted with smoke alarms which had allowed the smoke to build up before the occupant became aware something was wrong.