Isle residents are warned to take extra care not to start grass fires as the summer continues to sizzle.
The alert from Humberside Fire and Rescue Service comes after a call out this week to a grass and hedge fire at Sandtoft.
A fire spokesman said: “In a continuing dry spell grass becomes drier and ‘straw-like’ allowing it to ignite much more easily.
“As more people enjoy the outdoors the potential of a fire starting increases.”
A carelessly discarded cigarette or a spark from a barbeque can easily start a grass fire that escalates quickly, particularly if winds increase, warns the fire service.
The following outdoor advice is given:
· Dispose of smoking materials properly and make sure they are completely extinguished.
· Don’t leave barbecues unattended and extinguish them properly after use. Use water to cool embers fully.
· Place your barbeque on bricks or rocks and ensure it is raised off the ground.
· Clear away bottles, glasses and any broken glass to prevent them magnifying the sun’s rays and starting a fire.
Supervise children and pets at all times