MEDICAL staff at Doncaster Royal Infirmary were put on a full scale alert following an anthrax scare.
The panic unfolded when a woman turned up at A&E after taking a suspected heroin overdose, which it was suspected had been laced with the infectious spores, which has been used in chemical warfare.
A hospital source told the Doncaster Free Press that the department underwent a “terminal clean” - with powerful cleaning agents used to kill all bacteria and curtains replaced.
The woman was in isolation on the intensive care unit following the scare.
A hospital spokesman said a terminal clean was carried out as a precaution following Sunday night’s incident, but no reports of a patient being poisoned with anthrax had been reported.
She added: “The patient is not being treated for anthrax. This was one of many diagnosis postulated on admission given the patient’s past medical history and presentation.
“The patient’s present condition remains critical and a working diagnosis has been obtained, as such is receiving appropriate supportive therapy.”