Garage fires affect two Doncaster homes

editorial image
0
Have your say

Two Doncaster households had to leave their homes after separate fires early today.

The first was just after midnight at an end terrace in Daw Lane, Bentley, and is believed to have been started deliberately when a wheelie bin was set alight next to the garage.

It spread to the garage, destroyed a Ford Ka kept inside, and smoke also affected the house.

A couple in their 30s had evacuated the premises before Adwick and Doncaster fire crews arrived. They spent more than two hours dealing with the incident and ventilating the house.

Doncaster firefighters were also called to a house in Chestnut Grove, Sportbrough, about 1.20am where the integral garage was also ablaze.

A family of five adults and a teenage boy had been woken by a smoke alarm going off and got out safely.

It is believed a fault on electrical equipment stored in the garage had started the fire.

The crews wore breathing apparatus to put it out.