A PET dog been hailed a four-legged hero after saving a mum and daughter from a fire which gutted their home.
Amy Hayton, 21, and eight-month-old Paige Drinkwater were asleep when their home in Askern Road, Toll Bar, caught light in the early hours.
Billy the Jack Russell cross started jumping up and barking, then leapt onto the bed where Amy was.
The smoke alarm did not sound until after fire crews arrived.
Amy, who lives with Paige, partner Adam Drinkwater, 24, and family friend Chris Clark, said: “At first I told Billy to shut up. But he jumped up on the bed and was barking. That is when I realised something was wrong.
“It was the best £90 we ever spent when we bought Billy.”
Adam, who was out with Chris at the time, said: “If Billy hadn’t woken them up and they had not got out it could have been a different story.”
The family have been rehoused and it is not known when they are likely to be able to move back. A neighbouring property occupied by three adults and a child was also damaged. The blaze on last Friday is believed to have started when a fence caught light before the flames spread to the roof of the row of terraces.