FIRE officers applied the gentle touch, when called to rescue a stricken kitten at Westwoodside on Friday.
An Epworth fire crew lifted the frightened kitten from a chimney flue, where it was wedged, after using hand tools to remove the fireplace during the lunchtime incident.
A fire spokesman said: “The little kitten recovered quickly from its ordeal. The incident was dealt with quickly, with fire officers executing their rescue within about 15 minutes.”
Another chimney fire occurred at Church Crescent, Owston Ferry, on Friday.
Fire crews attended at 5.30pm to find the fire had burnt itself out before their arrival.
The occupiers were given advice on fire safety. Smoke alarms fitted at the property had not activated.