Fire at town sandwich shop

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue. Picture: Marie Caley D0949MC
South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue. Picture: Marie Caley D0949MC
2
Have your say

AN ELECTRICAL fault in a sandwich shop kitchen sparked a fire in Doncaster town centre this afternoon.

The small blaze began after a fault in a freezer at the Subway store in Priory Place at about 2.30pm.

Staff spotted smoke coming out of the kitchen and immediately evacuated the building and dialled 999.

Minor delays were caused to town drivers as fire crews parked at both ends of Priory Place while they tackled the blaze.

Watch manager Daz Johnson praised staff at the shop for the way they had followed guidelines.

He said: “Staff did everything just right. They made sure the three customers got to safety and called us right away.

“We had to use a fan to ventilate the building but the fire damage is confined to the freezer itself.”

The Subway store will be closed today but staff hope it will re-open as soon as possible.