Barnsley Archives and Local Studies, based in the Central Library, will be closed to the public after Saturday, November 17.
It will reopen in the Town Hall as part of the new Barnsley Museum and Discovery Centre in early summer 2013.
In the new Discovery Centre, which is part of the wider Experience Barnsley project, visitors will be able to explore special archival collections, learn how to uncover their own family’s history, read ancient documents, explore hundreds of maps and thousands of photographs.
During the period of closure, people can still access a wealth of sources via family history and ancestry websites available in all Barnsley libraries.
The progress of the creation of the new Discovery Centre can be followed at www.barnsley.gov.uk/archives.
The project is supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund and part-financed by the European Regional Development Fund.
- DONCASTER ROVERS: ‘We’re going for big prize and won’t be distracted’
- One Direction’s Louis Tomlinson’s Twitter row with The Wanted
- Up and coming singer Jake Bugg heads out on biggest tour to date
- VOTE: Margaret Thatcher - Hero or Villain?
- Rovers FT: Doncaster Rovers 1 Tranmere 0: Jones edges Donny nearer promotion
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Doncaster
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 30 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 7 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west