PRISONERS were evacuated from a wing at Doncaster Prison last night after a fire was started in one of the cells.
Firefighters said the blaze smoke-logged the wing but nobody was injured during the incident.
Crews spent two and a half hours at the prison.
John Biggin, Prison Governor at HMP Doncaster, said: “There was a disturbance at HMP Doncaster in which a cell fire instigated an evacuation of one of the prison wings.
“During the evacuation, a small number of the prisoners were non compliant and caused a minor fire in the TV room.
“The situation was resolved quickly and an internal investigation into how the cell fire originated is underway.”
- DONCASTER ROVERS: ‘We’re going for big prize and won’t be distracted’
- One Direction’s Louis Tomlinson’s Twitter row with The Wanted
- Up and coming singer Jake Bugg heads out on biggest tour to date
- VOTE: Margaret Thatcher - Hero or Villain?
- Rovers FT: Doncaster Rovers 1 Tranmere 0: Jones edges Donny nearer promotion
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Doncaster
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 30 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 7 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west