A pensioner had a lucky escape after fire broke out at her Doncaster home this morning.
Fire crews from Doncaster and Edlington station were called to a bungalow in Levet Road, Cantley, just after 9.30am when an automatic fire alarm went off and sent a message through to a central control room.
They found a woman in her 90s still in the bungalow and escorted her to safety while other firefighters put out a burning cushion on a sofa.
The cushion had been ignited by a burning cigarette, said a spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue.
The occupant of the bungalow had suffered a slight burn to her hand but it was not serious enough to warrant her being taken to hospital.
There was only a small amount of damage to the seating.
- DONCASTER ROVERS: ‘We’re going for big prize and won’t be distracted’
- One Direction’s Louis Tomlinson’s Twitter row with The Wanted
- Up and coming singer Jake Bugg heads out on biggest tour to date
- VOTE: Margaret Thatcher - Hero or Villain?
- Rovers FT: Doncaster Rovers 1 Tranmere 0: Jones edges Donny nearer promotion
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Doncaster
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 30 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 7 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west