A GUARD dog held firefighters at bay as a fire blazed in the centre of Mexborough.
The fire in an empty caravan, that was within a back yard off Main Street in the town, gained hold as crews waited for help in dealing with the roaming animal.
Council dog wardens were called to take the dog, after which fire officers stepped in to extinguish the 4am Sunday blaze. They left the scene at 5.20am.
A fire spokesman said the fire was contained within the compound, by crews from Dearne and Rotherham stations. Its cause is thought to have been accidental.