'Danger' trees to be cut down on Doncaster street

A tree which was blown down by the wind at Sutton Road, Barnby Dun, on October 2, 2017
A tree which was blown down by the wind at Sutton Road, Barnby Dun, on October 2, 2017

Trees which have have been labelled a danger by residents on a Doncaster estate are finally set to come down after another one fell in high wind.

The latest tree to fall blew down on Sutton Road, Kirk Sandall, at around midday on Monday October 2, and fell across the road, blocking to it to traffic for a period of time

A tree which was blown down by the wind at Sutton Road, Barnby Dun, on October 2, 2017

A tree which was blown down by the wind at Sutton Road, Barnby Dun, on October 2, 2017

It was the latest tree to fall on the street, where residents, worried about safety, have been calling for the trees to be cut down over a long period.

Resident Mick Graham said he first called for action over the issue two years ago, and since then there has been a survey of residents views on the issue, and a letter informing them of the residents.

He understands that there are plans to take them down and replace them with fewer, newly planted, trees.

He said residents had been concerned for some time.

Mick said. "It is getting on for two years since I first started complaining about it, and it is the fourth that has fallen down since then.

"I think they should be removed before the onset of winter. We shouldn't have to suffer another winter in fear of trees falling on someone or something."

He said questionnaires had been send out to residents from the council asking residents views on the trees, after their concerns were highlighted by the Doncaster Free Press last year.

Those residents were later told 58 per cent of those who completed the survey wanted the trees to be taken down, with 53 per cent wanting less trees than before if they were replaced.

Mick said he had been told that trees were falling on the street because they were diseased.

A Doncaster Council spokesperson said that residents were now being informed that work to fell the existing diseased trees was scheduled to start this week and should take around two weeks to complete.

They added: "Forty-seven replacement trees will be planted and this is proposed to start in November. These will be narrow growing forms of field maple, Swedish whitebeam and ornamental pear. These are ‘standards’ which have a clear stem to aid visibility when residents use their driveways and will provide a mix of flowering time and autumn colour.”