Worst fears for teen missing four years on

Glenys and Kevin Gosden, of Balby, with a photograph of their missing son. Picture: Steve Taylor

Glenys and Kevin Gosden, of Balby, with a photograph of their missing son. Picture: Steve Taylor

0
Have your say

the distraught father of Andrew Gosden admits it is unlikely he will ever see his son again as the teen’s 18th birthday approaches.

Sunday is the 18th birthday of Andrew, who went missing aged 14 in September 2007,

His dad Kevin now believes that the most likely explanation for his son not having been found is that he is dead.

Mr Gosden, 45, said: “The results of the police commissioned forensic psychology report accords with our own worst fears; the odds would suggest that our son is dead.

“But of course, we cannot know for certain as there is no body, so remain in limbo.”

Mr Gosden, wife Glenys, 46, and daughter Charlotte, 20, who works as a financial dealer at Leeds Building Society after dropping out of Oxford University following the stress of her brother’s disappearance, will lay flowers to commemorate Andrew’s birthday at St James Church in St Sepulchre Gate. Mr Gosden said the milestone has forced the family to think about all they have missed in Andrew’s life.

“I cannot help but wonder what I have missed in my son’s life,” Mr Gosden said.

“Most likely, we would have seen him tackle GCSEs and A-Levels, apply to university, take his driving test.

“There would have been so much time working and enjoying life together. Birthdays to celebrate, Christmas gifts for him, holidays together.

“I know my wife and daughter were having the same thoughts, but no-one dares share them for fear of upsetting one another.”

The family have campaigned tirelessly for information on Andrew’s whereabouts.

He disappeared after leaving the family home in Littlemoor Lane, Balby, seemingly for school. However, the McAuley School pupil caught a train to London and was last seen on CCTV at King’s Cross station.

The family employed experts to use pioneering sonar scanning technology to scour the Thames in the hunt for Andrew. The possibility of his body being in the river was ruled out.

It is believed to be the first time the underwater search method was used in the hunt for a child who had been missing so long.

Artist impressions of how Andrew may have matured were released in 2009.

Mr Gosden said: “It feels like we have been in this situation forever, I can’t remember what it was like to lead a normal life. Normal things that should have been happening, like our son taking exams and living his life, have been replaced by endless searching and media campaigns. It still feels so surreal.”

Mr Gosden, who writes an online blog about his son, is urging anyone with information to contact police or missing persons.

Visit the blog at http://helpustofindandrew.weebly.com/index.html