Sick yobs attack garden

DISTRAUGHT: Ryan McGregor, 14, Luke Saunders, ten, and Liam Moore, 14, all of Stainforth, have been left devastated by the attack. Picture: Liz Mockler D9727LM
DISTRAUGHT: Ryan McGregor, 14, Luke Saunders, ten, and Liam Moore, 14, all of Stainforth, have been left devastated by the attack. Picture: Liz Mockler D9727LM

CRUEL yobs ran amok on an allotment tended by children, slaughtering chickens and pigeons and letting dogs loose to cause carnage.

The attack on the site comes in the same week as a shock report into the rise of sadistic dog-fighting that has seen Doncaster labelled as going back to the Middle Ages and as a dog was found strangled.

ANGRY: L-R are comittee member Alan Henson, 55, secretaries Fred Rouse, 46, and wife Avril, 51, Lee Saunders, 33. Front L-R are dog Jet, Ryan McGregor, Liam Moore, both 14, and Luke Saunders, ten. Picture: Liz Mockler D9729LM

ANGRY: L-R are comittee member Alan Henson, 55, secretaries Fred Rouse, 46, and wife Avril, 51, Lee Saunders, 33. Front L-R are dog Jet, Ryan McGregor, Liam Moore, both 14, and Luke Saunders, ten. Picture: Liz Mockler D9729LM

Allotments in Oldfield Lane, Stainforth, were targeted for early hours attacks twice in four days.

Luke Saunders, ten, Liam Moore, 14, and Ryan McGregor, 14, have tended their plot since the beginning of the year, building a shed, rearing chickens and growing vegetables.

Luke told of his devastation when he arrived at the allotment the day after the incidents.

Most of the boys’ hens had been shot, with just one survivor, who had a broken leg.

“They just smashed it up. I felt really angry but I’m not going to give up on the allotment just because of them,” said Luke.

Luke’s dad Lee Saunders, 33, added: “They will keep going on, they won’t be beaten.

“It’s just a shame because the lads really enjoy coming to the allotment and then this happens.”

Kevin Shepherd’s plot was also targeted with all his racing pigeons either shot or released.

Allotment-keepers spotted paw prints in the mud of the devastated site.

Avril Rouse, joint secretary of the allotments’ committee, said: “Before when we used to get people breaking in it was just kids causing mischief but now it is acts of evil and it is gut-wrenching.

“All we want to do is to work on our gardens. We don’t want to come and find that our vegetables have been uprooted and our animals killed.”

Added her husband Fred, joint secretary: “Many of the allotment owners are now saying enough is enough as it takes a lot of care and money to keep your gardens nice.”

As a result of the attacks on July 28 and 31 the site, which had previously been open til 11pm to allow owners to tend their plots, is now clsoed at 8.30pm when the gates are locked overnight.

But Avril said that the owners are pulling together and helping each other recover from the attacks and the site remains a friendly, supportive community.

Police are investigating the incidents and anyone with information is urged to contact them on 0114 2202020.