Doncaster Councillors will today hear that there have been nearly 200 cases of suspected child sexual exploitation in the last year in the borough.
The figure is revealed in a report before which goes before Doncaster Council’s Children and Young People’s Overview and Scrutiny Panel today.
It states: “Current data relating to referrals and casework with children and young people who are victims of CSE indicates that between 1st January 2014 and 28th February 2015 Doncaster received 197 referrals with the reason for concern listed as ‘Sexual Exploitation’. Of those referrals, 146 (74.11%) are now classed as completed or finalised (closed) while the remaining 51 (25.89%) are classed as allocated or pending (active). This is an increase of four in active cases compared with position at the end of November 2014.”
Two recent developments are underway, a report reveals, with Doncaster Council and South Yorkshire Police working in collaboration.
In respect of Taxi Licensing, the council and the police are introducing a scheme based on the model now operating in in Rochdale Council, in which taxi drivers are required to attend child sexual exploitation awareness raising and training.
This will involve training 800 taxi drivers. All takeaway restaurants are to be visited jointly by council and police staff to discuss the issues surrounding child sexual exploitation. It is planned to develop a training package for all those involved in working in such establishments.