No further police action over Jeremy Clarkson attack

File photo dated 24/03/15 of Jeremy Clarkson, who will face no further police action over his attack on a Top Gear producer at a hotel, North Yorkshire Police said today. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Tuesday April 7, 2015. See PA story SHOWBIZ Clarkson. Photo credit should read: Daniel Leal-Olivas/PA Wire
File photo dated 24/03/15 of Jeremy Clarkson, who will face no further police action over his attack on a Top Gear producer at a hotel, North Yorkshire Police said today. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Tuesday April 7, 2015. See PA story SHOWBIZ Clarkson. Photo credit should read: Daniel Leal-Olivas/PA Wire
0
Have your say

Jeremy Clarkson will face no further police action over his attack on a Top Gear producer at a hotel, North Yorkshire Police said today.

Clarkson, who is originally from Doncaster, lost his job with the BBC as a result of the ‘fracas’ with Oisin Tymon.

A spokesman for North Yorkshire Police said today: “North Yorkshire Police has now completed its routine enquiries following the incident at Hawes involving Mr Jeremy Clarkson, and we will not be pursuing this matter any further.

“North Yorkshire Police takes a thorough and victim-led approach to all investigations.

“Last week, the person at the centre of the incident, Mr Tymon, said that he did not wish the police to take action on his behalf.

“However, at that point we still needed to speak to some members of the public who were present at the time of the incident, who had been affected by the event, and whose views also needed to be considered.

“Now that all the interviews are complete, we have properly established that there is no need for further police action.”

Mr Tymon had his lip split in a 30-second-long assault on March 4 and had to take himself to hospital with his injuries.

He was also shouted at by the former Top Gear presenter in a torrent of verbal abuse.

Clarkson reported the incident to the BBC five days later and was suspended by the broadcaster on March 10 before it announced his contract would not be renewed.

The star received widespread public support - including from his friend, Prime Minister David Cameron - in the aftermath of the fracas while one million people signed a petition calling for the BBC to reinstate him.

But director-general Tony Hall said “a line has been crossed” and that “there cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another”.

The BBC investigation last month found that Mr Tymon was “subject to an unprovoked physical and verbal attack by Jeremy Clarkson”.

It said the attack lasted around 30 seconds and only stopped when a witness intervened.

The report said “verbal abuse was directed at Oisin Tymon on more than one occasion - both during the attack and subsequently inside the hotel - and contained the strongest expletives and threats to sack him. The abuse was at such volume as to be heard in the dining room, and the shouting was audible in a hotel bedroom.”

Clarkson will soon be appearing at Sheffield’s Motorpoint Arena with his former Top Gear colleagues Richard Hammond and James May.

The Top Gear Live shows have been rebranded as Clarkson, May and Hammond Live.

The shows, between June 5 and 7, will be stripped of all BBC branding and will not be able to use clips from the show or feature The Stig.