A 44-year-old man has been charged with assault, after a video emerged online appearing to show a 13-year-old school boy being attacked.
The incident took place yesterday near Trinity Academy, Church Balk, just after 4pm. It was filmed by an on-looker and posted on social Facebook a short time later.
The video, which the Free Press has seen but will not publish for legal reasons, has now been viewed thousands of times and appears to show a man fighting with the boy.
As the incident unfolded, another pupil can be heard shouting ‘sir’ and a man, thought to be a teacher, is seen intervening.
Police have not confirmed the identity of the man, from Thorne, but he will appear before Doncaster Magistrates’ Court next month.
A South Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “A 44-year-old man from Thorne has been charged with assault following an incident outside a Doncaster school.
“At around 4.10pm yesterday (Monday June 20), police were called to reports that a 13-year-old boy had been assaulted in Church Balk in the Thorne area of Doncaster.
“A 44-year-old man was arrested and charged with assault. He has been bailed to appear at Doncaster Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday July 19.
Investigating officer PC Caroline Douglas added: “We are aware that this incident was filmed and has been posted on-line.
“As well as being distressing for the victim and his family, the video could prejudice any upcoming court appearances and the publisher could be held in contempt of court.
“We are working closely with the school and local authority and Police Community Support Officers are carrying out additional patrols around the school.”
Anyone who saw the incident has been asked to call 101 quoting incident 736 of June 20 2016.
A spokesman for Trinity Academy said: “This was an isolated incident. Members of staff are on duty at all times and, although this incident occurred outside the school gates, rapid intervention from Mr Gerard Dixey brought the matter to a close within 20 seconds.”