Explosion avoided at blaze

Fire Engine on call

Fire Engine on call

0
Have your say

AN EXPLOSION was narrowly avoided after firefighters stopped a blaze spreading to a gas cylinder at a garage site.

Crews from four fire stations were called to the scene off the High Street at Great Houghton on Saturday at 12.30pm.

A car in two adjoining garages was alight and firefighters immediately started pumping water into the premises.

They then spent more than two hours cooling a gas cylinder to ensure there was not an explosion.

The fire is thought to have been started accidentally.

A spokesperson for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “When a gas cylinder is near a fire there is always concern that there could be an explosion.

“We had crews there from Barnsley, Doncaster and West Yorkshire. They sprayed the cylinder until it had sufficiently cooled.

“There was no need to evacuate as the two garages were not near any properties.”