Couple forced to flee kitchen after chip pan blaze

Fire Engine on call
Fire Engine on call
0
Have your say

A DONCASTER couple fled their home and needed medical treatment following a chip pan fire in their home last night.

The pair, in their 30s, managed to put the blaze out themselves but only after it had caused a large amount of damage to the kitchen at their Norwood Drive home in Bentley.

They were sat on their front garden suffering from smoke inhalation when firefighters from Adwick and Doncaster arrived.

Chris Lally, watch manager, said: “Fire crews immediately checked the fire was completely out and vented the property, whilst other firefighters began to administer oxygen therapy to the couple.

“The male occupant had managed to extinguish the fire but the chip pan had been left unattended on the hob and there were no smoke alarms fitted.

“These would have alerted the couple to the fire at a much earlier stage. We will be returning to the property today to carry out a Home Safety Check and fit smoke alarms.”

The couple did not need hospital treatment following the fire which happened just before 8pm yesterday.