A MAN braved his smoke-filled home to save his two dogs, after a discarded cigarette set his sofa alight.
A smoke alarm alerted the man, in his twenties, to the fire at Longfields Crescent in Hoyland at about 1.30am on Saturday.
He was treated at the scene by paramedics for smoke inhalation, after he’d gone back inside the house to rescue his two dogs.
Firefighters from Tankersley and Barnsley stations arrived to put out the blaze and ventilate the property.
A South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokesperson warned residents to make sure cigarettes are properly extinguished and ashes are discarded carefully.